Friday, April 29, 2011

Hawaii ~ Day of the hike

I've really forgotten what day we did what thing so I've given up counting the days... But this is the day we went to "the end of the road". We were on the island of Kauai and we stayed in the the town of Princeville. It is on the north coast of Kauai. If you continue north you will literally come to the end of the road at Ha'Ena State Park and the start of the Na Pali Coast. There are very few parking spots at this place so we had to park a ways down and walk in. We passed this cave (actually we saw a few on our drive too). It is amazing. These vines are hanging down from the top and you can walk down into the cave. Actually I think they are tunnels and the area is also called Tunnels or Tunnels beach... Or they are two different places but either way it was totally amazing!
My2Jakes... Jake is very excited to have his picture taken and how can I be upset at Jacob for picking his nose for the picture when his daddy is so enthusiastic about them too LOL!!
Me and the kids ~ I have an Ergo baby carrier and I can't tell you how much I LOVE it ~ so I'm wearing Rebekah and all ready for our hike.
We hiked up .25 miles (it's only a quarter mile but it's all rocky, slippery, and straight up). Jacob did it all by himself except for one little part that was just easier for Jake to carry him. It was worth every step! Once again my camera does not do justice to the beauty from this little vantage point. I really wanted to keep going - the actual trail is 11 miles but with the baby and how hot it was I didn't want her to sweat to death on my back so we thought it best to just go back down and hang out on the beach while Mike, April, Elizabeth & Cole hiked on further.
You can see the waves crashing into the reed and then it's calm waters up until the beach area. Perfect for the little kids and for people to snorkel. It was really beautiful.
I was trying to take a wide shot so you could see the mountains and the beauty and I caught Mike, his mom Kate and Jake too :)
The Owens Family - Kalalau Trail - 2011
The guys on the trek back to the beach
After our hike we decided to leave this beach and go to Kalihiwai (the good boogie boarding beach) that was just past our house. We were all starving so the McKenna's stopped and got sushi for us and we had sandwich stuff for the kids. They also got some Oreo's :) Can you tell?
You know for the first time in my life I heard Jake say "I think I've had enough Sushi." I am still in shock over it so I'm putting it in print just in case he forgets... I am now realizing that we did not take one picture of sushi the entire trip so as proof that we really did eat it all the time here is Rebekah with the chopsticks... See they are still in the package because we just ate with our fingers. It was so good! We had an awesome grocery store right up the road from us so we would go in and buy their fresh sushi almost everyday. In fact the guy would smile and hand me an extra handful of soy sauce packets when he saw me because I went in so much and Mike uses SO much soy sauce :) Sorry Mike but had to put that little reminder in there for histories sake :) It was cheap and delicious and I miss having it so readily available! Shortly after lunch we took our kids back home to have take much needed naps after our morning activities.

No comments: