Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas Eve!!!

We are still in the process of making traditions but we may have found a good one :) The kids and I stayed the night with Grandma and Grandpa on the 23rd so we were at their house all day Christmas Eve. Jake had to work so we were planning on just having dinner that evening and opening presents afterward. The kids and I had fun all day and I even took a nap! It was wonderful and needed since little miss Bekah was up for almost 2 hours in the middle of the night - either her teeth or she really is one of those babies that likes her own bed. Grandma set a very pretty table (even if her iron did break and she couldn't iron the tablecloth - and if you know Grandma then you know that her iron is like an appendage... she said she's learned to relax in her years but still I wasn't sure what she would do without an iron. Never fear - Santa put one in her stocking - no wonder "Santa" was gone so long when we sent him out to the store.)
We had our dessert table ready all day long because snacks are a necessity when you are cooking and celebrating! Daddy and Jacob are all ready for the yummy meal.
We really did not cook that much for for this meal. Just a few yummy things and nothing that we had for Thanksgiving (too soon to relive the flu marathon following that meal...) In fact there is a funny story behind the ham. Everyone in town talks about and a lot order the smoked ham from Ulrich's Meat Market. So this year my parents ordered on. Monday before Thanksgiving my parents Realtor dropped off one of these special hams. Then my dad bought my mom's Christmas present from a local furniture store and received a coupon for a free ham. In case you are not counting that would be 3 hams! So they froze 2 of them and we cooked the big one. It was VERY yummy! Can't wait to eat the others.
I am putting this picture in way out of order but really I thought the before and after shot was pretty funny! We opened all the gifts under my parents tree Christmas Eve - sort of a new thing but we really enjoyed it and think it may be a new tradition.
Jacob handed out all of the gifts and then was VERY excited to start opening them! We let him go for it and had fun with all of his excitement. Of course whenever we would turn on the video camera he would be stoic but as soon as we turned it off (even when he didn't know it was on!) he would go crazy opening gifts. This was Jacob opening his new Black and Decker tool set.
It's the additional tools that go with the set he got 2 years ago from Jake's side of the family. He first saw these tools at our friends house and has talked about them for a while. Grandma and Papa found them and as we expected he loved it!
I really had to take a picture of this because it was so funny. My dad got my mom a present and hid it down in the basement inside this bin with a rug over it. He figured she would never look in it. So then he just stuck a bow on it and brought it up. We all laughed!
He got her a little stool that will go by the back door. Especially in winter you have to take your boots off before coming inside and she really wanted something to sit on. I think he did a great job! Isn't it pretty!!
Rebekah was having fun pulling on tissue paper and wanting to get into whatever Jacob was doing. She would play with something for a second and then move on to the next thing.
I do not remember if this was a long standing tradition but I do know when I was growing up we always opened a gift on Christmas Eve and funny thing that was usually pajamas... So I thought it was fun thing to carry on. Jacob liked his new Spiderman PJ's! In fact he informed us the other day that he wants a Spiderman 3rd birthday - I thought perfect than you'll love your present!
Rebekah really could have cared less about her super cute new pj's but that's ok she will still look cute in them.
Grandma and Papa got this last year but we all forgot about it. He was very excited about leaving cookies out for Santa.
Papa got the last Harry Potter book from Grandma and a new GPS. I am sure their road trips will be much more exciting now that they have that!
Daddy and Papa spent a LOT of time trying to get the toys out of the packages! Jacob got a set of monster trucks from them and they were all screwed into the box! And remember what I said about Rebekah just wanting to get into whatever her big brother was doing :)
Grandma & Papa got little Bekah some new plates, a book, a sweater and little stuffed dog that sings Jesus Loves Me. She got a kick out of that.
She also got this little stacking and sorting puzzle toy. You know the kind you spend 5 minutes putting together only for them to tear it apart in 5 seconds and then repeat 5 more times...
Papa got Jake some new Ice Fishing gear! This was him "sucking" it in :)
And propane for the heater! Now all they need to do is go fishing! Really it has been a very late season since the lakes are still freezing over.
And a huge new tackle box full of all sorts of goodies!
And my all time favorite Eucalyptus candle from Yankee Candle. They discontinued it several years ago but still bring it back as a seasonal scent and my mom always finds it! Like I said this was a new thing but I think we all really liked it. We made enough food so that we could just enjoy Christmas Day with leftovers and a few snacks. So after all the gift-giving, we headed back home so that we could wake up in our own beds and enjoy Christmas Day.

No comments: