Friday, October 17, 2008

Mark this off the list...

You'll be glad there are no pictures recording this event... You there are a lot of things that you hear people talking about when it comes to having children. I think we have been spared of a lot so far and for that we are grateful. Well last night at about 2:15 am I heard Jacob crying. I waited a few minutes and he was quiet. Then he was crying again. Nothing major but like something had woken him up. So I waited a few more minutes all the while my thoughts are running wild. I think to myself maybe he's freezing up there - I knew I should have turned on the heater before we went to be - but we didn't check the smoke alarm and he could die from smoke inhalation before we even knew what happened - we really need to check that smoke alarm - ok he's still not going back to sleep - but if I go up there and he wants to eat (which I KNOW he will when he sees me) then I don't want him thinking its ok to get up at 2am every morning for a meal - but I don't want to wake up Jake by letting him just cry it out - ok I'll go up there and check. So I get up there and he puts his arm up for me to get him. As soon as I pick him up he is fine. So then I think "You little stinker" but just as I finish that thought I SMELL something...Yep you got it. The first middle of the night 'mess'. I am referring to it as the BM in the PM. So I logically think let me change your diaper so you'll feel better. Well I may be semi-logical at 2:30 am but there is no such thinking going through my little man's head. You would have thought I was laying him down on a bed of nails. The back arches and he screams and starts thrashing around. He had other plans. So after literally wrestling with him I get his diaper changed and start feeding him. Well as soon as my hand hit his lower back I felt 'IT' on his pajamas. I think to myself "Are you kidding me". So I say sorry for the poopy pj's I'll feed you a little before I even think about changing you - again. So I feed him then realize that his room still looks like a bomb went off and the clothes he can wear now are in our room hanging all over the pack-n-play. So I go downstairs and call Jake's name - Poor Jake - it was that "What Huh What " panic wake up. I felt bad but I needed him to turn on the light and look for another set of pj's. Jacob had already been traumatized enough by waking up to that mess and then having me change his diaper amidst his strong protest so I didn't want to subject him to bright lights as well. I changed and finished feeding him and he happily went back to sleep... So as I said - we can mark that off the list and if it never happens again I'd be oh so happy:) AND yes my project for Saturday is getting his room put back together.

Just a side note -- my mom will be coming to town Saturday night for 2 weeks! Yeah:) Jacob has changed so much and we are excited she gets to spend time with him. I will try to post pictures but we will be on the road a lot. We leave Monday to go to Illinois to visit (and take care of) my mom's cousin Linda. Now, Linda if you are reading this - we will be taking care of YOU not the other way around.We'll be there from Monday to Wednesday and then we head to Kansas City to pick my sister up at the airport and spend a few days in Kansas City - then we'll be in Oklahoma City for the weekend and finally back home next Monday. Then we'll have the rest of next week back in Pella hoping to find my parents a house! So stay tuned and as long as I can get Internet we'll post pictures of the travels.

1 comment:

the millers said...

first... i want to say... thank you for not posting pictures...

second... i am laughing so hard... that is a great story...lol

third... i hope you have a great time with your mom... tell her hello for me... and be safe in all your travels...

kids are sooooooo much fun...

mm