Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Long Lost Friend!

Carlos and I have been friends for many years! We were close friends in high school and then coached volleyball together at our old high school! I have not seen him for too many years and he somehow ended up with a best friend from Pella! What a small world! Since this is like our family diary I will tell the funny story of his walk over to our house. He called Friday morning and was out walking so he was going to walk over to our house and I was trying to give him directions. I realized he was at the school 2 blocks from our house so I told him to take the sidewalk right next to the school. It is a straight shot to our house. Well for those of you not from Pella - people tend to know when there is a "stranger" walking around. And Carlos, well, he's not from around here :) So he says, "Um, Renee, there are a bunch of kids on the playground. I don't want to be that guy walking next to a playground full to kids that causes the police to surround me." I forgot it was drop off time and we both just died laughing as we ran through the different scenarios of what could have happened. Needless to say he took the long way around and finally ended up at our house.
He lives in Hawaii and took an extended vacation and came to visit Iowa! It was so awesome to see him again. He spent the day with all of us and we had a great time. We went to breakfast at a cafe in town and laughed a lot. We had not been in the cafe very long when he blurted out "What is with all these Dutch people!" To be honest I do not even remember what we were talking about when he said it but we had a great laugh and think it would make a funny t-shirt. After breakfast we drove to a park down by the dam and talked and caught up. We had lunch with my mom and spent the afternoon just hanging out at my mom's house. We walked up and around town a little bit. We met up again later at a benefit concert for his friends organization. Just like old times we were on KP duty and had a great time catching up! Sadly he left town on Saturday but it was such a joy to be able to share my family and my life now with him and hear about his life now. We hope to be able to see him when we go to Hawaii in April!!

No comments: