
Well she's here! I know it's been a little over a week but here she is. The story is long so I'll try to keep it short. We decided to try for a VBAC with baby Bekah and had to travel to Iowa City - about 1 1/2 hours away to do this. I started to have regular contractions all through the night Monday March 29th - so we were packed up and ready to leave about 6am Tuesday morning. Jake, my mom and I checked into a hotel about a minute from the hosptial (this was the original plan) about 8am and labored a few more hours before deciding to go to the hospital. When we got to the hospital we found out it was prodomal labor - essentially your body is physically laboring for real with real pain but there is no progress being made. This being the case he midwife suggested I take an low dose sleeping aid so I could get some rest since there was still a long road ahead. We went back to the hotel and I was able to sleep for a few hours. When I woke up the contractions were gone so mom and I went to the mall and walked around trying to get things moving again. The contractions were very light and I took another nap that afternoon. Tuesday evening I had contractions most of the night - enough to keep me awake but not to rush back into the hospital. Wednesday we hung out at the hotel and did some walking and I tried to rest as much as possible. Wednesday late afternoon he contractions were not really there so we all got ready for bed - mom and Jake took some Tylenol PM's so they could really get some sleep since there was no sign of anything happening. Well wouldn't you know that at about 10pm the contractions started. By about 1am I knew these were different and more intense - mom and Jake were sound asleep so I tried to be quiet and spent time in the bath. By 5:30 am I told them I was done and take me to the hospital because I wanted to know if it was real or not. So then they knew it was time to call the Doula! When Jun-Nicole arrived she went right to work. She helped me find a rhythm to the contractions and did counter pressure when needed. She was so very calm and that made all the tension disappear. We labored for a while then decided to head to the hospital.

Now the long story gets shorter... labor was "real" this time and we were checked into the hospital but we were in for the long haul. My body labors slowly and by slowly I mean kill me now slowly! We labored all day Thursday and then all day Friday. Bottom line became that Rebekah was stuck - they tried to turn her by putting me in all sorts of positions and just plain turning her but she was not budging. It was decided that a c-section was the best option. I love the picture with Jake tying his mask on and them wheeling me down the hallway.

In fact she still has a bruise on her nose from where she was in the wrong position, poor thing! Our midwife was in the surgery with us and she took pictures of them pulling the baby out (we spared you those pictures although we thought it was kind of neat) and then she took this one of me seeing Bekah for the first time. This was so special for me because I was not awake when Jacob was born.

And as you can see she was not a little girl :) 10pounds and 9 ounces and 22 inches long! She is such the opposite of Jacob - he was 9pounds but only 19 inches long. She has long features - her fingers and toes are long - I think she takes after Jake.

Daddy keeping Bekah happy while mommy was getting put back together!

Grandma hugging on her little granddaughter! Such a pay off after almost a week of no sleep!

And here is Baby Bekah with her poor bruised little nose! Welcome to the family Rebekah Marie Owens! We love you!!

Grandpa came to the hospital on Saturday to meet his little granddaughter!
1 comment:
Aww.. congrats on Baby Rebekah, she is beautiful. Hope you guys are enjoying every minute with her for she will grow fast before your eyes.
Post a Comment