Monday, September 1, 2008

Labor Day

This has been our nemesis since we moved in. Our original plan (a year ago) was to dig up all the weeds and keep the hostas in there and decide what to do later. Well...being pregnant and with the heat and not feeling well I never got to it. Then I had the great excuse of having a newborn and not being able to go outside long enough to do enough to it. Well all my excuses (and lack of desire to jump in with all the bugs) brought us to this weekend. We decided we would tackle it. Truthfully, Jake did all the hard work and I took pictures and brought him water and raked up all the stuff he was cutting down.
It was so hot and humid that Jake was soaked and I was sweating just cleaning up. We didn't stay out too long but Jake did get the majority of the stuff chopped down. We called it a day because we were both feeling a bit dizzy from the heat but Jake did get most of the big part cut down. Now We just have to get a tiller to dig up all the roots and clean that out. The ground was very rocky and a shovel really was not working very well.
After we get all the roots out we will probably just replant the hostas around this area. We also have a bunch of tulip bulbs to plant in October. So we'll keep it simple and easy to maintain and keep you posted with our progress. We have such a huge yard and the landscaping is very minimal. As we have been driving around looking for a house for my parents we have been looking at the local flowers and landscaping ideas. So stay tuned and hopefully by next spring and summer we will be able to post some pictures of our accomplishments.

2 comments:

doschadisks said...

If you need some hostas let me know I will need to split mine up. I might even have some astilbe.

The Owens said...

We have some around the house that have gotten huge so we thought we would split them up. I think we should have enough but I will let you know :) Thank you...