Monday, March 28, 2011

Grandma's Birthday!

We had fun celebrating Grandma's birthday last weekend. Grandma wanted a chocolate cake but Jacob was very specific that it needed to have purple frosting... And his new favorite thing to do is blow out the candles. He picked out these silly candles for Grandma.
And then it was his next favorite thing to do after blowing out the candles - licking the frosting off, of course! I was just laughing at Rebekah - licking her lips waiting for a someone to give her a taste!
Let's dig in! This is was my second attempt at a homemade cake... it was a little dry this time around but I am really liking homemade vs boxed cakes - so much for flavor!
Rebekah was a huge fan! I'm sure she'll be in heaven when she gets to eat her birthday cake!
Then it was present time!
Grandma really didn't have any actual "presents" to open but we all pitched in and got her and Papa a weekend away at some cabins in south Iowa. Close to an Amish town and by a lake so they can relax and have fun! Actually they were supposed to go this past weekend but Papa got some kind of flu so we are postponing it a few weeks. It was a nice and quiet birthday - Grandma didn't want us to make a big deal about it. I decided that we'll honor her wishes this year but next year, Grandma, you will NOT get off so easy :)

3 comments:

Laura said...

the cake looks more grey. but i guess there is no purple food coloring in regular boxes so you have to make your own. good job! i always just make my cakes in a 9x13 pan!

The Owens said...

I thought I'd try my hand at a layered cake for Jacob's birthday and it wasn't that hard (plus my mom has the cake pans and the cake pedestal LOL!). I use the color gel and added it to the frosting and it's a little more of a lilac than an actual purple - and yes it looks grey in the pics :) If you have the round pans you should try it :) I used a Better Homes & Gardens recipe for the double chocolate cake and sour cream frosting!! Yummy!!

The Owens said...

ps... red and blue color gels not purple... I told Jacob it was our science lesson for the day :)